12 Common Breast Augmentation Questions to Ask Your Surgeon
Most women considering a breast augmentation will have questions. That is why they consult with multiple physicians to learn about their options and find out more facts. If you are considering one for yourself, there are a few questions you must ask. Naturally, most of these questions are addressed during the consultation. However, to ensure all “what ifs” are taken into consideration, it is useful to have this handy checklist with you.
Important Questions to Ask Before a Breast Augmentation
Some questions are common sense, while others you might not have considered necessary. Regardless, make sure these issues are on your list when you show up for your consultation.
- Expectations in the Consultation: What Can I Expect? When you schedule your consultation, ask what you can expect for that appointment. See how much time you will have with the surgeon, what questions they can address, and how many appointments you will have before and after the procedure.
- Are You Certified? You want to work with a certified plastic surgeon who has adequate experience handling breast augmentation procedures.
- Am I A Candidate? Not everyone is a candidate for the breast augmentation procedure; therefore, you should ask if you are a candidate during the consultation and if there are lifestyle changes you must make to become a suitable candidate (for example, stop smoking).
- How Many Years Experience? During your consultation with the doctor, ask specifically about how many years they have been performing breast augmentations. Medical research and technology advancements occur rapidly and it is important that your surgeon has up to date knowledge and plenty of experience.
- What Can I Do to Get the Best Results? You want the best results possible with your augmentation. Therefore, you may need to do your part at home before and after the procedure. Ask what is expected of you to optimize your results.
- Recovery? Naturally, you want to know how long you will be in the hospital, how long you must recover at home, and when you can resume normal activities.
- When Can I Wear a Bra? You wear a bra equipped with underwire right away; therefore, you must ask your surgeon how long until you can wear one – especially if you plan to go back to work.
- Could Complications Occur? Complications are rare, but this is still a surgical procedure. Make sure you are informed of all risks and potential complications.
- How Will the Implants Look Over Time? As you age, you may wonder how your implants will look, especially when skin starts to loosen. While your surgeon cannot predict the future, he or she can give you a general idea of what you can expect with your breasts over time.
- What Happens if I Do Not Like the Look? Some women will receive a breast augmentation only to realize that they do not like it or wish they had selected a different size. Therefore, you will want to know how your surgeon handles these types of situations.
- Do You Have Before and After Photographs? Ask to see before and after photos so that you can see what it would look like if you were to have the procedure, and how other women look after theirs.
- Can I Still Breastfeed? If you are not done having children, you may need to breastfeed. Yes, you can still breastfeed after you have implants, but your surgeon may need to take extra steps. Also, realize that pregnancy and breastfeeding do have an adverse impact on your breasts and the skin; therefore, it may be best to wait.
Schedule a Consultation to Ask Your Breast Augmentation Questions
Do not let these issues keep you up at night. Instead, meet with a qualified surgeon from the team at UELC to learn about your procedure. While you wait for your appointment, review our before and after photographs to see what you could expect.