Sohel Somani, MD FRCSC
Dr. Somani completed his medical degree and Ophthalmology residency at the University of Toronto. He went on to pursue further specialized fellowship training in Medical Retina at the University of Toronto. He entered private practice in 2004 in the North Toronto and Brampton regions, where he has developed a practice focusing on Cataract & Refractive Surgery and Medical Retinal Diseases. Dr. Somani is an Attending Surgeon at Humber River & North York Branson Hospitals and William Osler Health Systems. He is also affiliated with Uptown Eye Specialists and eyeMD Institute.
Dr. Somani has performed over 20,000 cataract and laser based surgeries customized for patients using the latest technologies, techniques and lens implants. Dr. Somani also provides advanced treatment for various medical diseases of the retina.
Accomplishments and Awards:
Dr. Somani is an Assistant Professor at the University of Toronto’s Ophthalmology Department. He is engaged in various research endeavors and is a recipient of the John Gaby Research Award. Dr. Somani has published several articles in the scientific literature and has also given presentations at major ophthalmology conferences and courses. He is affiliated with the CNIB eye van for Northern Ontario ophthalmic services.
Associations and Professional Memberships:
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- Diplomat of the American Board of Ophthalmology
- Canadian Ophthalmologic Society
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Toronto Ophthalmologic Society
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- American Society of Retinal Specialists
- Canadian Retina Society