Blepharoplasty (Eyelid Surgery)
The eyelids are one of the first areas to show the effect of ageing and fatigue. Drooping eyelids, dark circles, and puffy under-eye bags can make you look older than you are and may make you feel less confident about your appearance.
If under-eye concealers, targeted eye-firming creams and getting plenty of rest hasn’t helped reduce the bags under your eyes, there is a way to permanently regain a more youthful and refreshed eye area: eyelid surgery.
Blepharoplasty is a surgical procedure used to remove underlying fat and excess skin from the upper eyelids, lower eyelids, or both. It is also sometimes used to add an upper eyelid crease for those who have monolids. It is a short and easy procedure that can significantly enhance your appearance. UELC has well-equipped cosmetic clinics for eyelid surgery in Vaughan, Brampton, and Toronto to help you.
Signs of Ageing in the Upper & Lower Lids
Upper Eyelid Blepharoplasty is ideal in case of the following:
- The excess skin on your lid leads to visual field obstruction
- The appearance of bulging fat in the eyelid
- You have excess lid skin that makes your look older than your age
- Your eyelids are droopy
- Your lid skin is wrinkled and doesn’t have the appearance of a well-defined lid crease
Lower Lid Blepharoplasty can be used to treat the following signs of ageing:
- You have eye bags that are composed of excess fat, creating a worn-out and tired appearance.
- Your lower eyelids have fine wrinkles, as a result of exposure to the sun and ageing.
- You have dark circles around your lower lids, caused by deeper pigmentation or shadows cast by the bulging fat.
Who Can Undergo Eyelid Surgery?
- Anyone with signs of ageing in the lower or upper eyelids may benefit from this cosmetic surgery.
- Also, ensure you are relatively fit and in good health.
- It helps to quit smoking at least two weeks before surgery and not resume for 5-6 weeks after it.
Considerations for Blepharoplasty
Lower Lid Blepharoplasty vs. Upper Eyelid Surgery
The lower lid and upper lid blepharoplasty are distinct procedures. The primary concern for the lower eyelid is excess fat, while for the upper lid, it is excess skin. Lower eyelid surgery requires more technical expertise as compared to upper lid blepharoplasty.
Skin removal in the upper lid can help ensure you have a clean crease and eliminate wrinkles. It requires the utmost care because it may lead to aesthetic and functional problems if not done correctly.
You may opt for fat removal from your lower lids when eye bags are present.
Recovery from Blepharoplasty
Immediately After Surgery
Our staff will monitor your progress for a few hours after your eyelid surgery. You can go home accompanied by a family member or a friend once the anesthesia wears off.
Recovery at Home
For quick recovery after your eyelid surgery, keep the following in mind:
- Try to relax and rest as much as possible.
- Reduce the screen time, including watching television, working on a laptop, using your phone, and reading for the first few days.
- Keep your head slightly elevated to help reduce bruising and swelling around your eyes.
- Your eyes may be sensitive to bright lights for a few days after the surgery.
- Take your medication regularly.
Our surgeons will schedule your follow-up appointment one week after your cosmetic surgery. You may return to work after around ten days of recovery and start light exercise two weeks after surgery. However, be sure not to strain your eyes and avoid strenuous activities until 5 to 6 weeks post-surgery.
How Long Does Blepharoplasty Last?
The outcome of eyelid surgery can last for a long time, depending on how you care for your eyes and your rate of ageing. Avoid smoking, wear sun and eye protection regularly, and use high-quality eye creams and skin care products in your regimen to preserve the results of the surgery and slow down the ageing process.
Contact Us at the UELC Clinic for Eyelid Surgery
UELC has a reputable eye clinic in Vaughan, Toronto, and Brampton. Whether you want to undergo blepharoplasty or schedule it in conjunction with other facial surgery procedures such as a facelift, an endoscopic brow lift, or laser treatment to reduce wrinkles, laugh lines and crow’s feet, we can help.
Our experienced oculoplastic and plastic surgeons will examine your condition, understand your needs, and recommend suitable measures accordingly. We will schedule the eyelid surgery depending on the severity of the concern and the desired outcome. We can help remove excess fat and trim sagging skin and muscle to enhance your appearance.
Come in for a consultation. The UELC team is here to help you. If you have any questions about our cosmetic surgeries in Vaughan, Toronto, or Brampton clinics, give us a call at 416-653-8352. We’ll be happy to assist you.