Everything You Should Know About Rhinoplasty Surgery
A nose job, or nose plastic surgery, also known as rhinoplasty, can help improve the shape, appearance, and function of the nose. Your surgeon may suggest this surgical procedure for medical purposes such as to correct breathing problems. They may also recommend rhinoplasty surgery for cosmetic reasons to enhance the shape and size of your nose.
Rhinoplasty plastic surgery can be used to make the following changes:
- Change the shape and size of your nose
- Alter its angle
- Narrow the nostrils
- Straighten the bridge
- Reshape the tip of your nose
Preparing for Rhinoplasty Plastic Surgery
- You must first discuss with your surgeon whether you are a suitable candidate for this surgery.
- They may ask you about your medical history and any medications that you may be taking currently and check your previous medical records. They may also ask you to take a few blood tests.
- During your consultation, your nose will be photographed. These shots will help them analyze the long-term results of the rhinoplasty procedure.
- Your plastic surgeon may ask you to stop the intake of any painkillers fifteen days before and after the surgery because they can increase the chances of bleeding.
- You may also have to stop smoking because nicotine slows down the healing process.
What Happens During a Nose Job Surgery?
It is a simple procedure that starts with your doctor using general or local anesthesia, depending upon the need. They will reshape your nose by separating the skin from your cartilage. If your new nose requires additional cartilage, your surgeon may use some from your ear. Although the surgery takes only around two hours, it may take longer in certain cases.
Recovering from Rhinoplasty Plastic Surgery
After the surgery, your surgeon may place a metal or plastic splint on your nose to help with healing and to retain its new shape. You may be kept under observation for a few hours, following which you will be free to go home unless there are any complications. You may need a relative or a friend to drive you home because of the effects of anesthesia.
Your doctor will ask you to rest with your head elevated to help reduce the bleeding, and will recommend you avoid the following for a few weeks after the procedure:
- Exhausting physical activities
- Excessive chewing
- Blowing your nose too hard
- Brushing your teeth vigorously
- Any facial expressions that require movement such as laughing
- Keeping eyeglasses on your nose
- Too much exposure to the sun
If you follow these instructions and regularly visit your doctor for follow-ups, you may be able to return to work within 1 to 2 weeks.
Rhinoplasty Before and After Comparison
After the procedure, you will be able to see the difference when you compare photographs taken before the surgery with the ones taken after you recover. The results of rhinoplasty are usually long-lasting. A healthy lifestyle including life-long sun protection can help extend the results.
Consult a UELC Specialist for Rhinoplasty Plastic Surgery in Toronto
At UELC, we care about our patients, understand their needs, and strive to achieve the desired results using safe cosmetic procedures. We have experienced plastic surgeons who can offer personalized consultations. We will make sure that you understand what a nose job entails and answer all your questions before scheduling your surgery.
Whether you wish to change the appearance of your nose to enhance your facial features or have had a nose injury recently leading to complications, call us at 416-653-8352 to talk to our experts about rhinoplasty in Toronto. You could also fill out our online general inquiry form if you have any questions. Our specialists will be happy to assist you.
You may also want to read Rhinoplasty Plastic Surgery: