Eyelid Surgery for Men: Special Considerations and Challenges
Your eyes are typically the first part of your face to show aging, so blepharoplasty (more commonly known as eyelid surgery) can make a big difference in how you look and feel. By eliminating wrinkles, excess skin, and fat deposits around your eyelids, you can enjoy the personal and professional benefits that go hand-in-hand with a youthful and more polished appearance.
Although women make up the majority of patients, statistics from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) show that the number of men opting for cosmetic surgery went up by 28% between 2000 and 2016. In addition, eyelid surgery was the second most popular procedure for men in the U.S. in 2019, second only to nose reconstruction. If you are a man considering blepharoplasty, you’re not alone!
Why Are More Men Getting Eyelid Surgery?
Men are wanting to improve their appearance for different reasons. For example:
- Looking younger can give you a competitive edge in a challenging job market.
- Many men continue to date later in life, and looking good makes you more confident when meeting new people.
Whatever your reason, blepharoplasty can help you accomplish your aesthetic goals. At UELC, we offer two distinct procedures:
- Lower lid blepharoplasty, which removes excess fat and unwanted puffiness
- Upper eyelid surgery, which eliminates wrinkles and excess skin
A thorough and personalized consultation will help determine which surgery will deliver the visual results you are looking for.
How Is Eyelid Surgery Different For Men?
As a general rule, blepharoplasty for men requires a more conservative approach. In order to maintain the distinct and masculine characteristics of the male face, the surgeons at UELC observe the following strategies and appearance goals:
- Different brow position and arch. With women, the brow tends to have a slight arch and sit higher on the brow bones. Men’s brows are either flat on the brow bone or a bit lower.
- Different incision location. The location of the incision usually matches your ideal eyelid crease height. Women prefer a higher crease to create a wider area for their eye makeup, but this result doesn’t look natural for men. As a result, the incision location is lower for male patients.
- No arching. Female eyelids have a slight arch on the outside corner while men’s do not, so male eyelid surgery is designed to avoid this result.
Blepharoplasty is the same for men and women in one key respect: an overall reduction in lines, folds, and bags in the eyelids. You will look alert, refreshed, and more energetic without clearly showing that you’ve undergone cosmetic surgery.
Do You Have Questions About Eyelid Surgery for Men?
The ideal outcome for male blepharoplasty is to maintain your masculine features while enjoying a flattering change in the appearance of your eyes. At UELC, you will work with an experienced oculoplastic surgeon who understands male facial features and knows how to produce outstanding but natural-looking results. To schedule a consultation and learn more about what eyelid surgery can do for you, call 416-653-8352.