Should You Choose to Undergo a Hair Transplant?
Did you know that around 60% of men and 50% of women experience some form of hair loss worldwide?
To address this issue, people often choose to undergo a hair transplant. It is an excellent way to add more hair to an area that may be balding or thinning. Read on to learn more about hair transplantation so you can make an informed decision.
Who Can Benefit from a Hair Transplant?
- Women with thinning hair, but not hair loss throughout the scalp
- Men with balding patterns, also known as androgenic alopecia
- If you have lost some hair due to a scalp injury
It helps to know that this cosmetic surgery may not work for you if you do not have enough donor sites for transplant, if you have lost hair because of medical treatment such as chemotherapy, or have thick scars on your scalp as a result of a surgical procedure.
How Does a Hair Transplant Work?
The transplantation process involves taking hair from the scalp or other parts of the body and grafting it to the thinning section on the head. Before starting a transplant, your surgeon will clean your scalp and sterilize the area from where they will remove your hair. They will numb it with a local anesthetic or use sedation depending on your comfort level and needs. They will then choose one of two hair transplant methods.
Common Hair Transplant Methods
Follicular Unit Transplantation or FUT
Also known as follicular unit strip surgery (FUSS), you surgeon will perform the following to obtain follicles using the FUT method:
- They will remove a small portion, around 6-10 inches, of your scalp using a scalpel. It can also stretch from ear to ear, depending on your needs. Typically, they take follicles from the back of the head.
- Following this, they will close the area with stitches.
- Then, your surgical team will split the scalp strip into smaller pieces, often as many as 2,000 fragments, known as grafts. Most of the grafts have one hair.
- As part of the grafting process, your surgeon will make small holes in your scalp and insert hair from the removed pieces of scalp into them.
- Then, they will cover and dress up the surgical sites using gauze or bandages.
The number of grafts for the FUT method of hair transplant typically depends on the following:
- The type of hair you have
- Quality and thickness of your hair
- Size of the transplant site
- Your hair colour
Follicular Unit Extraction or FUE
With this transplantation method, your surgeon will use hair follicles directly from the back of the head through tiny punch incisions. It involves the following steps:
- The hair on the back of your head will be shaved off.
- Your surgeon will then remove individual follicles out of the scalp.
- Similar to the FUSS method, they will make small holes in the portion that requires grafting and insert hair follicles into them.
- Once this is done, they will cover the surgical site with gauze or bandages.
Recovery & After Care Tips for Hair Transplant
Your surgeon may need anywhere between several hours to days to complete the procedure. You may experience soreness and pain at the transplant and the portion from where hair was removed. They may prescribe the following:
- Pain medications
- Anti-inflammatories to reduce swelling
- Medications to stimulate hair growth
Tips to help you recover after hair transplant surgery:
- Do not wash your hair immediately after the procedure. Be sure to wait a few days and use a mild shampoo for the first few weeks.
- Don’t comb over the new grafts for around 3-4 weeks.
- Avoid wearing a hat or pullover jackets and shirts before consulting with your surgeon about it.
- Avoid exercising for a week.
- Do not worry if a few strands of hair fall out after the procedure.
- It helps to know that you should be able to return to your normal activities and work in about 3-4 days.
Also Read: Hair Transplant Procedure Types and Recovery
Visit Our Cosmetic Clinic for a Hair Transplant
If you would like thicker, fuller hair, consider having a hair transplant procedure from UELC. We have a qualified team to understand your needs and identify which hair transplant method best suits you so you can enjoy a more youthful appearance.
You can visit our cosmetic clinics in Vaughan, Scarborough, or Brampton for a consultation. If you have any questions about hair transplantation, give us a call at 416-653-8352 or schedule a complimentary consultation by filling out our online form.