Tips for Selecting Your Plastic Surgeon
There are many plastic surgeons out there, but the experience and skill of the surgeon you select will greatly impact the outcome of your cosmetic surgery procedure. While there is no 100 percent guarantee, there is a way to narrow down your choices so that you choose a surgeon you are comfortable with and feel confident in.
Decide on the Procedure First
The procedure you are considering for plastic surgery should also drive your choice of selecting a surgeon in Vaughan. While a plastic surgeon is trained in reconstructive and cosmetic procedures, a cosmetic surgeon may not be skilled at reconstructive procedures or may offer more non surgical cosmetic surgery procedures.
A Few Tips to Find the Right Plastic Surgeon
Once you know the type of procedure you need, you can use the following tips to narrow down your list of potential surgeons:
- Ensure the surgeon is a member of the Canadian Society of Plastic Surgeons. To be a member of this society, these surgeons have undergone the required training and are certified to perform plastic and reconstructive surgeries.
- Verify that the surgeon is licensed with the provincial college of physicians and surgeons and that there are no existing disciplinary actions against them.
- Verify all credentials. If a surgeon states they are “board certified” that means they should be certified (and have proof) by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons.
- Inquire about hospital admitting privileges, because if something does go wrong, you want to ensure the doctor can admit you for any complications.
- Ask the surgeon about their experience with the procedure you are interested in. Some surgeons may perform more of a particular type of surgery than others; therefore, you want to ensure the surgeon you select has ample experience in your desired procedure.
- If you are interested in multiple procedures, be wary about the surgeon that offers to do them in the same visit. Multiple surgical procedures at once increase the likelihood of complications; and a skilled surgeon would space them out appropriately.
- Visit the facility and inspect it for sanitation. You will also want to get to know the staff and nursing professionals and make sure you are comfortable being there.
- Be cautious about any plastic surgeon that offers a “guarantee” or states they can minimize recovery time with their procedures. Most procedures have standard recovery times and there are few alterations that can be done to reduce that time. Also, ask about the after-care and how much you will be tasked with doing on your own at home.
Speak with Certified, Skilled Plastic Surgeons at UELC
At UELC, we understand how hard it is to pick a provider for your cosmetic procedure. That is why we offer consultations so that you can get to know our skills, our centre and our staff. We will go over your procedure, the surgeon selected for the procedure and even discuss after-care so that you are fully informed about your upcoming surgery.
If you are looking for help, let one of the experts at UELC guide you in the right direction. Book a consultation today by calling us at 416-653-8352.