What to Expect With An Arm Lift
What is an Arm Lift Cosmetic Surgery?
The skin on the underside of your upper arms tends to become loose with age. In addition to ageing, substantial weight loss can also cause the underside of your upper arms to sag. An arm lift, also known as Brachioplasty, is a cosmetic surgical procedure used to remove excess fat between the elbow and armpit. It can also help you create a toned appearance.
Consulting a Plastic Surgeon for Arm Lift Cosmetic Procedure
During your first consultation with your doctor, they will do the following:
- Examine Your Medical History
It is essential for the surgeon to learn about any medications you may be taking including herbal supplements and other drugs. In addition to this, they may also discuss your current and past medical conditions and any surgeries you may have undergone.
- Perform a Physical Exam
The doctor will inspect the underside of your upper arms to decide the best treatment option. They may also take pictures of your arms for documentation and medical record.
- Discuss Your Goals
This is the right time to talk about your expectations with the surgeon and explain why you want an arm lift. Be sure to understand the outcomes and benefits of the procedure. Also, discuss your concerns to get a clear overall picture.
- Ask You to Quit Smoking
Smoking can hinder the healing process and may cause complications during the procedure, so your doctor will likely suggest that you stop smoking before the arm lift surgery as well as during recovery.
Preparing for Brachioplasty Cosmetic Procedure
Before the Surgery
- Before your arm lift cosmetic surgery, you must avoid taking any medications because they can increase bleeding.
- Make sure to ask a family member or a friend to help you get home after the surgery.
During the Surgery
- Depending on how much skin there is to remove, your plastic surgeon will make marks and incisions on the underside of your arms.
- The surgeon may use liposuction to remove excess fats and tighten the muscles.
- Then, they will close the incisions and secure your skin with stitches.
After the Surgery
- Your doctor will cover the incisions using bandages to minimize swelling.
- Within a day or two, they will remove the bandages and may ask you to wear a compression sleeve for a few weeks.
Recovery Procedure After an Arm Lift Cosmetic Procedure
Your plastic surgeon will give you a set of instructions including the following:
- Do not lift your arms above shoulder level at least for 3 – 4 weeks.
- Avoid athletic and physical activities involving the movement of your arms for 4 – 8 weeks after the surgery.
- Take pain medication as needed and use antibiotics as per the directions to prevent any wound infection.
Contact Us to Schedule an Arm Lift Cosmetic Surgery
At UELC, we care about your safety and strive to achieve your needs by using advanced cosmetic surgery procedures and techniques. We have qualified and knowledgeable plastic surgeons to guide you and provide excellent aesthetic results according to your goals and expectations.